Tax Relief for UK members

The Royal Economic Society is included on HMRC’s approved list of professional organisations where members may claim tax relief for their annual membership subscription. The following information does not constitute financial advice. If you are at all uncertain then you should seek guidance from an accountant or financial adviser.

Am I eligible for tax relief?

You may be eligible for tax relief on your RES membership subscription if you are a UK taxpayer in relevant employment. You must pay the membership fee out of your own pocket. You cannot claim tax relief on life membership fees.

What is relevant employment?

Relevant employment is any employment related to membership of the eligible body concerned, in this case economics. It can include full-time, part-time and consultancy work. Society membership must be relevant to the work that you do.

How do I claim tax relief?

HMRC provides further information here on how to make a claim.