The Economic Journal Data Policy
The Economic Journal requires authors of empirical and experimental papers to provide documentation of how their results were obtained in sufficient detail and accuracy to allow their results to be replicated. Before submitting a paper, please confirm that you are willing to comply with this policy. You will be asked to confirm this when you submit your paper on-line.
For papers that contain descriptive, econometric or simulated analysis of data the authors must provide:
- sufficient detail in the paper, or in an appendix to the paper, for the reader to understand the nature of the data used and how it was constructed,
and one of the following:
- data set(s) and programmes that allow replication of all of the results in the paper, along with a file (README.pdf) that describes how the data and programmes can be used to replicate the results, and any manipulation that was carried out to obtain the data from the publicly available sources of the data;
- a request for an exemption based on the grounds that the data are from commercially available or restricted access data sources, in which case programmes that allow replication of all of the results in the paper, along with a file (README.pdf) that describes how the data can be obtained or accessed, how the programmes can be used to replicate the results, and any manipulation that was carried out to obtain the data in the dataset from the commercially available sources of the data must be provided.
- a request for an exemption based on the grounds that the data are from a proprietary data source that is not accessible to other researchers; papers using such data are discouraged but will be considered on an individual basis by the Editor; the exemption must be requested at the time of submission; if the paper is accepted a file (README.pdf) that describes how the data was collected and used to obtain the results must be provided.
This information must be submitted to the EJ Editorial office (firstname.lastname@example.org) if the paper is accepted for publication and will be posted on the website along side the paper on the Economic Journal website. The Editor may also request additional information during the refereeing process.
For papers that contain analysis of experimental data we require the authors to provide at the time of submission of the paper (authors are asked to include all information as part of the main .pdf file rather than as separate items):
- a document outlining the design of the experiment;
- a copy of the instructions given to participants, in both the original language and an English translation;
- information on the selection and eligibility of participants.
In addition, if the paper is accepted for publication then the following information must also be provided:
- the programmes used to analyse the data or run the experiment;
- the raw data collected from the experiment.
This information will be posted as Supporting Information to the paper online if the paper is accepted.
Sign up for Email Alerts
Get the latest information on recent issues and articles here.
Median turn-around just over 1 month for all submissions (3 months for papers sent to referees). Papers with over 6 months processing time: 2%. View journal activity.
Contact the Journal
Tel: 020 3549 5035